TILMA & Agrivision & SFL

TILMA & Agrivision & SFL

Postby Oscar » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:29 am

May 31, 2007

C. M. (Red) Williams
President, Saskatchewan Agrivision Corporation Inc.
502 - 45th Street West Saskatoon, SK S7L 6H2

Dear Red,

Re: SAC’s June 26 2007 TILMA conference

Hello Red, I trust you are doing well. It’s been some time since we last spoke, but my office still receives the Monday morning newsletter that Jonathan sends out. I still have to shake my head from time to time when I think about the lost opportunity with the venture capital initiative, but we do have to keep moving forward.

Red, I’m writing about the TILMA conference SAC is co-hosting on June 26th in Saskatoon. As you know, the issues around TILMA have been quite prominent in the provincial media for the past few months.

I think we’d both agree that knowledge and debate is critical to the decision-making process.

That’s why, when it comes to making decisions on labour market issues, the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour (SFL) and the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce are co-leading the efforts of the new Saskatchewan Labour Market Commission to perform timely and focused labour market research. We don’t agree with the Chamber on all issues, but we do work together to gather knowledge, debate the issues, then make joint recommendations to industry and government.

It is in this spirit of open, reasoned debate that I ask you for the opportunity for the SFL to present an alternate vision of TILMA at your June 26 conference.

It is important to have the people of Saskatchewan hear differing points of view about TILMA before we ask them to make a decision on whether we should proceed with the initiative or not.

Sincerely,

Larry Hubich,
President
cc: SFL Trade Committee
/dl/cupe4828/lwhtoSAC-may07
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:31 am

Sent: Wed 06/06/2007 8:45 AM
To: Hubich, Larry (SFL)
Cc: # A Cross, John; # A Scholz, Al (SAC); # A Warnock, Jonathan; # A Williams, CM (Red)
Subject: TILMA Information Seminar

Hi Larry,

Thanks again for the offer to present at the upcoming TILMA Information Seminar. After considerable discussion, the co-hosts decided that the original purpose of the seminar was to provide clarity and information for those organizations that were generally in favour of reducing inter-provincial trade barriers, regulations, etc.

Therefore, our decision is to stay with the speakers that we have already invited and focus on understanding what the province and the business community should be in favour of supporting.

This TILMA Information Seminar is only one step towards a multi-step process to determine how we go forward. Among the co-hosts, there is substantial interest in holding another information session that involves a broader view, such as the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour and others.

Thanks again Larry, and please keep in touch … and we will do likewise.

Kind regards,
Al

Al Scholz, PAg, CAC
Executive Director
Saskatchewan Agrivision Corporation
502 – 45th Street West, Second Floor
Saskatoon, SK S7L 6H2
T: (306) 384-4966 F: (306) 244-4497
E: al.scholz@agrivision.ca
W: www.agrivision.ca
Oscar
Site Admin