A Christmas Message

A Christmas Message

Postby Oscar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:55 am

A Christmas Message

December 11, 2010

My better half, Helen, found a copy of a letter I had written in
December, 2006. It was a Christmas message which she thought was very good and still appropriate for the Christmas season of 2010. She
suggested that I send it again. So how could I say no to a lady [ whom I
at least thought] possessed such good judgment?!

Here is that letter with a few minor deletions or additions.

War mongers: people or powers who make us fearful that there are
terrorists everywhere, are planning a military force of robot soldiers,
where no one needs to be killed. [Yeah right!] Of course, I understand
that we first have to find an enemy. They are also planning drone
fighter and bombing planes. No need to endanger the lives of real live
pilots. Is this the new path to "Peace on Earth"?

It is proper that we acknowledge the supreme sacrifice made by
Canadians in Afghanistan. However, we hear very little about those who
have been fearfully physically or mentally wounded, and possibly maimed
for life. Is it possible that those who are suffering through a difficult recovery are, at times, wondering why they were not killed in action so they, too, could be remembered as heroes? Is this how we maintain the myth about the glory of war?

Why do I allow realism to take over hope for a peaceful world? Is it the winter doldrums? Or is it because we know that the world is now spending the obscene sum of over one trillion dollars for military equipment. [Today, in 2010, the U.S.A. alone is spending about one trillion dollars on weapons and war annually. That is more than all the combined military spending of all the other countries on this planet.]

All this military spending is taking place while millions of our brothers and sisters and their children are suffering the misery of hunger, oppression and preventable diseases. At the same time, there are millions of people who yearn for and are praying for a more peaceful world, who sincerely believe that this is possible if only we would follow the teaching of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ.

We, in the industrialized world, like to believe, and have others believe, that we are the protectors of freedom and democracy. Then why do we feel the arrows of anxiety pierce the very core of our hearts? Is it because we know that some of the Christian nations of the world are the largest producers of the weapons of destruction, including uranium for the manufacture of nuclear bombs?

God has endowed us with a free will. Are we, as individuals, going to be the harbingers of Peace or are we going to maintain the myth of the glory of War?

A peaceful and joyous Christmas to all!

Leo Kurtenbach,
Box 268, Cudworth, Sask., S0K 1B0
Phone (306) 256 3638
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Leo's Corner