Handicaps are Hobbling all the Liberal

Handicaps are Hobbling all the Liberal

Postby Oscar » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:36 pm

October 7, 2006

This letter is in regard to Jeffrey Simpson's article in the October 3rd issue of the Globe and Mail,--"Handicaps are Hobbling all the Liberal Candidates"

I have always appreciated Jeffrey Simpson's opinions, particularly on political events. But with all due respect, I'm sorry to say that his reference to David Orchard does not at all reflect the characteristics of the David Orchard I know.

I have personally known David Orchard for at least twenty years. He is respected as a principled and well informed person in his long time endeavors to keep Canada a united and sovereign nation.

Mr Orchard is well known for his book "The Fight for Canada". The first edition was printed in 1993. Pierre Trudeau stated that this book was the best recently published work of the last two-hundred years of Canadian/US history. The Foreword was written by Kenneth McNaught, Professor Emeritus, Department of History, University of Toronto. The latter stated that Orchard perceived the danger of a division of the majority of Canadians who opposed the two misnamed trade agreements.

This should not be a surprise to anyone. On October 3rd, 1987, Canada and the US finalized the FTA. The US trade negotiator, Clayton Yuetter made this statement, "We've signed a stunning new trade pact with Canada. The Canadians don't understand what they have signed. In 20 tears they will be sucked into the US economy"

Most Canadians know that the reason Orchard no longer is a member of he Progressive Conservative party, is because that party no longer exists.Orchard was betrayed by Peter McKay. Then with the backing of Stephen Harper, the "new" Conservative party was built on Alliance/Reform political policies.

Orchard has a name list of people spanning the political spectrum right across Canada. That is why Jean Chretien and other Liberal leaders encouraged him to join the Liberal party.--When Paul Hellyer retired as leader of the Canada Action Party, he asked Orchard to consider leading that party.

Labelling David Ochard as marginal, flaky, and as a cultist is totally wrong and unacceptable. That paragraph of the article should be retracted.

Yours sincerely

Leo Kurtenbach,
Box 268,
Cudworth, Sask. S0K 1B0
Phone #306 256 3638.
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Leo's Corner