Stop the sale of CANADARM & RADARSAT-2 to U.S. arms buil

Stop the sale of CANADARM & RADARSAT-2 to U.S. arms buil

Postby Oscar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 am

----- Original Message -----
From: "Correspondence Minister/Correspondance Ministre: OCS" <CorrespondenceMinister@ic.gc.ca>
To: <leokurt@sasktel.net>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 1:08 PM
Subject: Industry Canada

Dear Mr. Kurtenbach:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Alliant Techsystems' (ATK) proposed acquisition of the Information Systems and Geospatial Businesses of MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. (MDA). I regret the delay in replying to you.

As you may know, ATK filed an application under the Investment Canada Act (ICA) for the review of its above-mentioned acquisition proposal.

Under the ICA, foreign investment proposals that are subject to review must obtain my approval before the investor can implement the transaction. My approval is given only where, after a rigorous review
process, I am satisfied that the investment is likely to be of net benefit to Canada. The factors considered as part of the net benefit test are listed in section 20 of the ICA.

As part of the review process, Industry Canada officials consult with other federal government departments, and the provinces, to obtain their views and concerns relating to an acquisition. In addition, the investor can provide me with enforceable commitments to demonstrate that the investment is of net benefit to Canada.

Subsection 23(1) of the ICA requires that I notify an investor where I am not satisfied, on the basis of the information I have, that an acquisition is likely to be of net benefit to Canada. I have been authorized by the investor to say that on April 8, 2008, I sent ATK a letter under subsection 23(1). My decision was reached after a careful and rigorous review process during which I consulted with the relevant
provinces and federal departments.

After receiving a letter under subsection 23(1) of the ICA, an investor has 30 days to make additional representations and give undertakings concerning the transaction. At the end of this period, I will either
confirm my initial decision or approve the acquisition based on additional representations and undertakings provided by the investor.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views on this matter.

Sincerely,

The Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P.

-------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Prentice, Jim - M.P. [mailto:Prentice.J@parl.gc.ca]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:00 AM
To: Correspondence Minister/Correspondance Ministre: OCS
Subject: KURTENBACH

------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: March 8, 2008 17:02
To: Prentice, Jim - M.P.
Subject: Stop the sale of CANADARM & RADARSAT-2 to U.S. arms builder

March 8, 2008

Industry Minister Jim Prentice
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6

Dear Jim Prentice,

Dear Prime Minister Harper,

I am deeply alarmed that the Canadian-built Radarsat-2 satellite and the iconic Canadarm will be sold by MDA corporation to US arms builder, Alliant Techsystems.

Radarsat-2, build with Canadian tax dollars, is needed to promote our Arctic sovereignty and environmental monitoring. Further, the loss of the Canadarm will erode our national participation in future space missions.

I urge you to not approve the sale of MDA's space division to Alliant Techsystems, and instead pursue a Canadian space policy to ensure our science and technology is used to our nation's benefit.

Sincerely

Leo F. Kurtenbach
Box 268
Cudworth, Saskatchewan S0K 1B0
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Leo's Corner