Harper to eliminate CIDA funding for KAIROS

Postby Oscar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 am

To: "Harper, Stephen - M.P." <Harper.S@parl.gc.ca>; <oda.b@parl.gc.ca>; <margaret.biggs@acdi-cida.gc.ca>
Cc: "Layton, Jack - M.P." <Layton.J@parl.gc.ca>; <rae.b@parl.gc.ca>; <Dion.S@parl.gc.ca>; "David Orchard" <davidorchard@sasktel.net>; <Duceppe.G@parl.gc.ca>; "Elaine Hughes" <tybach@sasktel.net>; <info@kairoscanada.org>; <Trost.B@parl.gc.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:45 PM
Subject: CIDA

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Honourable Bev Oda, Margaret Biggs.

I find it incomprehensible why our federal government would want to eliminate CIDA funding to the organization, Kairos.

You certainly must know that Kairos is an NGO that has membership support from most of the church groups in Canada. In case that you were not aware of that, they are as follows: Anglican, Catholic, Christian Reformed, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and the United Church, as well as the Mennonite Central Committee and Quakers, and many other individuals.

It is quite possible that some of your political supporters may have attended a gathering in Ottawa just last October, where people donated $22,000 to establish a legal clinic to work on behalf of women in the Congo -- women who were attacked and gang-raped by war-crazed young men, and who also left others behind to die.

I have an uneasy feeling that our government is willing to spend more money assisting the American military in that unfortunate war in the Middle East than it is to help innocent victims who are caught in a situation of war.

Does it not seem to be somewhat of an oxymoron that we humans resort to making war in order to obtain peace?

I respectfully request that our government immediately reinstate CIDA's funding to the organization Kairos.

Thank you for considering my request.

Yours sincerely,

Leo Kurtenbach,
Box 268, Cudworth, Sask., S0K 1BO
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Leo's Corner