CBC Radio - The Yellow Cake Ripple

CBC Radio - The Yellow Cake Ripple

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 pm

CBC Radio Morning Edition – January 11, 2007

Call it the yellowcake ripple. Saskatchewan is at the epicentre of a uranium boom. And businesses big and small are benefiting.

We heard from people in the middle of the madness.

Go to: http://www.cbc.ca/morningedition/topstory.html and scroll down to story for January 11, 2007
Oscar
Site Admin

James Parker Report on the Economics of Uranium, Jan 11, 200

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:43 pm

RE: James Parker Report on the Economics of Uranium, Jan 11, 2007

James Parker is a good reporter. He does his job well. We appreciate his comment that there are other aspects of uranium than what he reported this morning.

However, profit economics is what shortsighted industry and government are promoting.

A fair and truthful economic discussion would also reveal the cost of this industry.

What are the costs of straight-jacketing northerners so that they are constrained to take jobs associated with uranium mining?

What about the costs and irreparable damage to the environment due to uranium exploration?

What is the cost to lakes, streams, wildlife, plants, indeed all life forms now and for thousands of years from radioactive and chemical waste contamination?

What is the cost to all aspects of health physical, mental, spiritual, & community?

How much has it cost Saskatchewan citizens to build and upkeep highways for the transportation of chemicals and supplies to mines, and yellowcake to refineries?

How much CO2 gases have been released by the many kilometers traveled by one hundred or more trucks carrying chemicals and yellowcake?

What moral price is paid and how many lives are in jeopardy as we continue to contribute to nuclear weapons build up and depleted uranium munitions?

Has unbiased education been done to assist people in their understanding of the nuclear chain?

One would expect that by the 21st century in the heartland of democracy enlightened humans would have more respect for all life than to base decisions affecting multiple generations purely on profit economics.

In any industry, costs have to be factored in. Sometimes the costs outweigh the benefits, which is the case in the nuclear industry.

I expect that producers of the Morning Edition will ask James Parker to provide listeners with a report on each dimension of the nuclear issue and on all the positive and safe sustainable energy options that could provide the north with abundant holistic economic benefits.

Marion Penna, Saskatoon, SK
penna@ sask.usask.ca
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:22 pm

I heard James Parker's report on the uranium boom times underway on the Morning Edition. (Jan.11/07)

I have great respect for James as a reporter and believe he does his job well.

It is disturbing, however, that the CBC, along with most other media outlets, regularly avoid talking about anything outside the usual jobs, jobs, jobs aspect of this industry.

In April of 2006, the CBC had an opportunity to interview Gordon Edwards, Canada's foremost critic of the nuclear industry, and you refused to do it.

To hear Sheila's statements such as "let the good times roll" turns my stomach because clearly, such a statement tells me her mind, and that of the CBC, is made up on this issue.

I believe the role of journalists is to cover all sides of an issue and the CBC consistently fails in this regard.

I hope you will give James an opportunity to cover some of the "other issues" related to nuclear development.

If you want to cover this story in "strictly economic terms", how about some information about the economic costs of cleaning up exploration and mining sites?

What are the costs of cleaning up Uranium City? When will that work be completed?

What are the financial & public health costs to clean up the flooding of Cigar Lake?

What are the overall costs to human, animal and plant health and safety of mining uranium?

When will either the provincial or federal governments conduct independent health studies to determine if there has been any impact on human health?

What guarantees are in place to ensure Canadians that our uranium is not making its way into nuclear weapons systems?

I look forward to hearing more stories on these issues.

Stephanie
Oscar
Site Admin

...when will CBC give us BOTH sides of this issue?

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 pm

You got it right, CBC – the myth surrounding the uranium/nuclear issue is indeed ‘madness’. Fed by greed and the stench of money, and damn the torpedoes.

What makes me so cranky is that the CBC and the ‘bought and sold’ media outlets in this country, increasingly, sound the same: let the good times roll! Jobs! Money!

As the only Public Information outlet around, don’t you think you have an obligation to fully inform the people who pay your salaries?

When will the CBC live its mandate, tell it like it is, and give us BOTH sides of this issue?

Uranium IS lethal! Uranium IS forever!

Elaine Hughes
Archerwill, SK
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Uranium/Nuclear/Waste