Half Of Iraq In Absolute Poverty.

Half Of Iraq In Absolute Poverty.

Postby Oscar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:30 pm

Half Of Iraq In Absolute Poverty

----- Original Message -----
To: Radical Press
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: Half Of Iraq In Absolute Poverty.

Arthur,
You are right. Layla addresses all those who are involved in the middle east aggression and exploitation, including Canada. And this has been happening for about a hundred years since before WW I , when UK(and US) first moved in to access oil in Iran, Germany built a railroad from Berlin to Bagdad, Russia pushed toward the Mediterranean and Turkey, and the battle was joined as to who would control the new source of energy and other resources.

The alliances among big industry and big governments of big countries continues as always. Canada's corporations and government are integrating their efforts with those of the USA. ( imperialist apprentice)

However, our Canadian part is now, and it is part of our close military/industrial/political integration with the USA. And our Canadian decision now must be to break that alliance, reverse the deep integration process and continue on a more independent domestic and foreign policy direction. We cannot and perhaps not the UN cannot neutralize the USA and other big power competition for dominance, but we can separate our interests from theirs, which in our case is the USA.

We need to abrogate FTA/NAFTA, end the "harmonization" process and military co-operation. Canada's focus must be the environment and social justice first in Canada, but also abroad as best we can through the UN and other agencies.
...Jacob R

----- Original Message -----
To: Jacob Rempel
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Half Of Iraq In Absolute Poverty.

Thanks for running Layla’s article, Jacob. You are wrong in thinking that it’s only meant for the USA. It’s meant, obviously, for the world at large for it IS the world that sits back on its haunches and - - - - - (expletive omitted) instead of acting to stop the genocide.
Peace,
Arthur

I know this is addressed to Americans, but Canada and Canadians are implicated as industrial participants and as accessories during these atrocities. We need to separate Canada from this imperial war ar machine.
...Jacob Rempel
yasch@telus.net
---------------------------------------------
Why Is Half Of Iraq In Absolute Poverty?
By Layla Anwar
Why?
Yes why?
What for?

What does it say about you? What does it say about your countries? What does it say about your institutions? What does it say about your governments, your "culture", your "civilization", your history, your "progress", your "values", your concepts...?

Have you ever stopped and pondered these questions? Have you ever stopped and asked yourselves ; how come?

How come we are so advanced, how come we are so democratic, how come we are so great, how come we are so free...And how come we allow so much murder, oppression, abuse, go unaccounted for ?

Have you ever asked yourself this question ?

I was just listening to the BBC World radio. A report from Oxfam - and in your eyes that makes it credible - over 70 % of us Iraqis, no longer have access to clean drinking water.

I say no longer have because I remember not so long ago, one could turn on the tap and drink. As simple as that.

The report goes on to say that over 50% of Iraqis are under nourished and 1 out of 3 is literally starving. And that 50% live in abject poverty. 50% !!!

Again, I remember a time, even during the "civilized" sanctions that your countries imposed upon us, everyone had to eat. Not much, but there was food.

The Iraqi government had developed a system of rationing that, to this day, still leaves your top U.N reps in awe.

When I mention that in my posts, I am accused of waging a war of disinformation, psy-ops and being a paid agent.

Now you listen to me and you get off your butts and read. Educate yourselves, oh great people of the West.

A few years back, you could not even locate Iraq on a map . Now you have all suddenly become experts on Her.

Prior to your liberation, there was no starvation in Iraq. Prior to your liberation, there was no abject poverty, the kind we witness today. Prior to your liberation, kids did not stutter out of fear. Prior to your liberation, they went to free schools, learned, grew up and became full functioning adults, with degrees, diplomas and expertise. No, we did not have learning impediments before your liberation.
Today 92 % of Iraqi children suffer from it. Today, 99% of Iraqi children are traumatized for life.

So I ask you again - Why ?

What have Iraqis done to you? Did they invade you? Did they steal your homes? Did they imprison you? Did they torture you? Did they rape you? Did they occupy your lands?

Of course, some of you will come and present me with your usual condescending, paternalistic, patronizing lists of political theories, attempting to explain the inexplicable.

Save your time and energy. I know all about your theories.
I know all about your theories of imperialism, neo-cons, zionists...I also know all about your handy explanations regarding oil, cartels, monopolies, globalization...

None of that satisfies me. I still need to know why?

Why us? why Iraq? why this? why now?

If you fail to answer that question, then you would have not learned one single thing about yourselves.
And I say yourselves, because your governments are a reflection of who you are, your aspirations, your mindsets, your thinking, your illusions...You are part of it and it is part of you.

And all I can see right now are nothing but murderous thoughts - yours.

A few days ago, I was reading an article about a french film producer called Alain Tasma who has just finished directing a film on the Rwandan Genocide.

During "Operation Turquoise", between 700'000 and 900'000 Rwandans perished.

None of you, not a single one of you, had any objections to calling it a Genocide.
It was a given, it was accepted, it was fact. And rightly so, because it was a genocide.

But when it comes to Iraq, all sorts of counter figures pop up. All kinds of other statistics are put forward to try to prove "well, yes but"...

Again my question is why ?

Why did you accept it without questions in the case of Rwanda, why did you accept it without questions in the case of the Holocaust, why is it when it comes to Arabs and Arab Muslims in particular, it becomes a topic for debate and nit picking? And "it" refers to Genocide.

Can you answer this question?

Why is it that what happened over 60 years ago in your lands, still makes you grovel in mortification and supplications of forgiveness but when it comes to us, you have so many "red flags"?

Your phrases are almost always qualified with a "yes but..."

What does that tell me about you? It tells me exactly what I said earlier on, you and your governments are one and the same.

And you will come and say "yes but... I did not vote", "yes but, I sent an email", "yes but....yes but...yes but..."

I don't care for your "yes buts". I truly don't.

And that applies to all of you. All of you whose governments have a finger in the Iraqi pie.

If you had really wanted, you could have easily gone out en masse, in front of your government's offices...

If only 5 million of you, not more, only 5 million, had done that and had thrown your passports in a huge bonfire in front of your White house, 10 Downing street or wherever the hell you happen to be, then I am sure, we would not be experiencing what we are experiencing now.

There are also mass pickets, sit ins, huge demonstrations, strikes...

There are ways, many ways. You just need to get your "creativity" going. Or maybe you are just creative in killing us?

I don't care much for your opinions and comments anymore. Actually I don't give a damn.

All I know is that you have participated directly or indirectly in the crime. That is all I know.

But there is still a little hope left.

Go and sit with yourself for a little while and ask yourself why and then ask yourself what am I supposed to do next?

I can assure you, answers will come to you.

For those of you who prefer to sit and engage in quid pro quos of ifs and buts, then I can already tell you in advance, you are a hopeless case. And I will not even bother to ask why.

Layla Anwar, Who am I ? The eternal Question . Have not figured it out fully yet . All you need to know about me is that I am a Middle Easterner ,an Arab Woman - into my 40's and old enough to know better . I have no homeland per se . I live in Iraq,Lebanon,Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Egypt simultaneously .... All the rest is icing on the cake
Oscar
Site Admin

Iraqi International Initiative on Refugees

Postby Oscar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 am

Iraqi International Initiative on Refugees

April 2009

Sign the petition now!
http://3iii.org/petition/iraqi-oil-reve ... s-petition

More than 4.5 million Iraqis — a fifth of the population — have been displaced inside and outside their country due to the sectarian policies of the occupation and the governments it has installed since the illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003.

The international community, the occupation powers, and the government in Iraq are legally required to support and protect Iraqi refugees.

Iraqi refugees are Iraqi citizens who have a full right to live in dignity, a right to benefit equally from national resources, and a right to return to their homes.

The UN Security Council, as the highest body of the UN, has the power and legal duty to ensure that the needs of Iraqi refugees are met by passing a resolution to require that the Iraqi state allocate proportionate revenue to responsible agencies and hosting countries.

· Read also:

[b]IRAQI OIL FOR IRAQI REFUGEES

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2008/879/focus.htm
(Hana Al Bayaty, 10 January 2008)
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Canada in MIDDLE EAST/EUROPE