Civil Assistance Plan

Civil Assistance Plan

Postby Oscar » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:31 pm

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 12:24 AM
Subject: Layton Letter - Civil Assiatance Plan

Below is the letter I sent to Layton, Dion, Cromartin, and David Orchard (no date given).

Layton was the only politician to reply - nothing from Dion - and the reply was very swift.

You have my full permission to post all of this - I was quite angry at the time, and still am.

I will send the Civil Assistance / Northern Command postings to the National, and ask why they have NOT reported on this event of huge importance to Canadian sovereignty.

You will have noticed that McKay said that any Canadian military sent into the U.S. would remain under Canadian command ???? - likewise any U.S. troops sent up here. U.S. law forbids that happening - and in Afghanistan the U.S. command of all NATO troops taking part in Operation Enduring Freedom around Kandahar is being carefully concealed. Now the U.S. Marines have "joined" the Canadian contingent- but nothing has been said about who will be in command???

The constant blackout of the real events in Afghanistan is very efficient - the "embedded" reporters carefully follow the official communiques.

Cheers, Phil
---------------------------------------

Letter I sent to Layton, Dion, Cromartin, and David Orchard

Now I understand why the Liberal Party joined Harper in voting for an
extension of the Afghanistan

Invasion, and complicity in the illegal Operation Enduring Freedom Search, Destroy, and Murder Campaign.

THE CANADIAN MILITARY IS ALREADY UNDER THE DIRECT COMMAND OF THE PENTAGON, VIA NORTHERN COMMAND, AND THE DEBATE IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS WAS JUST A PIECE OF THEATRE TO CONCEAL THAT FACT FROM THE CANADIAN PUBLIC.

Phil Bladen,
Box 235, Preeceville, SK. S0A 3B0
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:34 pm

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:35 AM
Subject: Civil Assistance Plan

Reply from Layton re: military agreement signed Fort Sam Houston, Feb. 2008 Received March 19, 2008

Thank you for writing me with your concern over the recent agreement with the United States allowing for interoperability of troops during civil emergencies. We share your concern.

Please find below pointed questions asked by NDP MP Libby Davies to Defence Minister MacKay on Tuesday February 25th. Unfortunately, the Minister chose to dodge her specific questions rather than inform Canadians. We continue to monitor this situation as it progresses.

In addition, we find this military agreement more of the same by a government bent on pushing the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP) through without any public oversight. From the onset, we have spoken against the SPP. When these talks picked up pace in Montebello last summer, we launched a national campaign to expose the SPP.

You can read background information on the SPP negotiations at: http://www.ndp.ca/page/5614 and http://www.ndp.ca/stopthespp.

Many have written to say that the NDP is the only party they can trust to protect Canada's sovereignty. I want you to know that we will continue to do just that. All the best.

Sincerely,

Jack Layton, MP (Toronto-Danforth)
Leader, Canada’s New Democrats

----------------------------------

Ms. Libby Davies (Vancouver East, NDP):
Mr. Speaker, the NDP has advocated for an increased awareness of Canada's emergency preparedness and we have also called for more transparency when it comes to military affairs.

Now we learn that the Canadian armed forces signed an agreement with the United States allowing for interoperability of troops during civil emergencies, but no one told Canadians.

Why is the Conservative government being so secretive about this agreement? What does it have to hide?

Hon. Peter MacKay (Minister of National Defence):
Mr. Speaker, this is actually the formalization of a long-standing agreement that has been in place. Basically, it allows for a formal agreement permitting armed forces from either side of the border to render assistance in a time of a civil emergency.

This is all about ensuring safety on both sides of the border, allowing for mutual cooperation to the benefit of the citizens of both Canada and the United States.

It sounds to me as if those tinfoil hats are getting a little tight down there.

Ms. Libby Davies (Vancouver East, NDP):
Mr. Speaker, the minister still has not explained why this agreement was kept secret and even if he was aware of it. How can the Conservatives be trusted when they keep the truth from Canadians?

In the event of a civil emergency and the agreement is invoked, what process is to be followed to approve the deployment of Canadian troops to the U.S. and under whose command would Canadians operate?

Conversely, who would authorize American deployment to Canada and under whose chain of command would the Americans operate while in Canada? Why does the minister not answer that question?

Hon. Peter MacKay (Minister of National Defence):
Mr. Speaker, it could not have been very secret if the hon. member found out.
As it would apply at Norad or NATO, but most important, any activities that were to take place on Canadian soil would be done under the control of Canadian officials, the Canadian military most particularly.

Why have we done this? To exceed and expand upon the necessary actions that occur when people are in jeopardy. If there are ships at sea in distress, if there is an emergency involving, for example, an avalanche, this is all about facilitating the saving of lives.

We would think that a member from British Columbia would understand that.
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Phil's Corner