I expect more!

I expect more!

Postby Oscar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 am

I expect more!

To: Thecurrent@cbc.ca
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 9:01 AM

Dear friends at The Current,

Today's discussion about 'Canadian Foreign Policy' was particularly shallow and more Rah Rah cronyism than good commentary.

I recently read Yves Engler's "The Black book of Canadian Foreign Policy*" and confirmed much of my observations as a traveller to other lands (unfortunately just a few foreign lands). The connversation today seemed to be all about the rhetoric and media misconceptions about Canada's foreign policy than the substance.

e.g. The supposed 'gentler - kinder' image of Canada in the world. This image is one of the most cherished media-political constructs foisted on Canadians. Yes we ARE kinder and gentler but it is NOT our government's policies that give us that image overseas but our NGOs and Charitable organizations. The truth is that if we had the military might of the USA we would probably outstrip them in our perversity. Fortunately, the Canadian military is still too small to affect much in the world and is only as effective as our long standing habit of piggy-backing on the U.S.A's power. ie, unquestionalby being a satelite state to the U.S. economic empire.

I expect so much more from CBC. Buying into the hype, the 'establishment' media and our politicians spin is bad enough, but actually participating in spreading that hype is unconscionable. You'd actually think you have missed all the international disgust over Canada's performance at the various climate change meetings in Brazil, Poland and Italy.

Are you really unaware that Canadian Foreign policy on environmental issues is quite universally denounced internationally? A recent example of our foreign policy - the marketing of Asbestos to third world countries is just one tiny example of the perversity driving our foreign policies.

Perhaps some reading is in order* so that your program hosts can better evaluate the spin and distortions of both the Prime Minister and the 'Rah Rah' cheerleaders for the continuation of the scam of Canadian Foreign Policy Integrity.

Shane Nestruck
Winnipeg
204-510-8828
shanedn@mts.net
Oscar
Site Admin

Contemptuous Asses

Postby Oscar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:10 am

Contemptuous Asses

Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:27 PM

The Editor
Winnipeg Free Press

Dear sir:

First they abandoned a Canadian citizen, a 15 year old child soldier of ethnic heritage (Omar Khadr). Then they ignored, again and again, the courts when it was stated they'd abused his constitutional rights. Then they abandoned not only their responsibilities but also a Canadian citizen, who just happened to be of ethnic heritage (Suaad Hagi Mohamud). Of course, there are lots of other things they've abandoned, like our international commitments to Kyoto...the planet's health.

So, don't be surprised when they abandon your rights as a citizen of Canada and your children's rights as a human inhabitants of the planet, because there is no difference between Kadhr, Mohamud and you in the darkness of contempt for the law, contempt for the health of our future children, contempt for democracy.

Shane Nestruck
Winnipeg

shanedn@mts.net
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Shane's Corner