Responsibility Vacuum

Responsibility Vacuum

Postby Oscar » Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 am

Responsibility Vacuum

The Editor
Winnipeg Free press

May 19, 2010

Dear sir:

It seems there are all sorts of issues, from drunks at Bomber games, to the safety of bicyclists on our streets, to a proliferation of break & enters and home invasions, that are making our city less and less habitable. But what is the solution? Is drunk and disorderly still an offense? Is driving dangerously still an offense? Is theft and violence now acceptable?

I was recently in Edmonton. The driving conditions were so superior that I was amazed; I was in and around the downtown at all hours of the day and night and saw no drunkards or offensive pan-handlers; Pedestrians and bicyclists were treated with respect by drivers. So I asked Edmontonians how this had come to pass. The answer - enforcement, real enforcement with real fines and real consequences.

When was the last time you saw a police car pull over a motorist for any offense? When was the last time you saw a drunk idiot at a football game evicted or arrested? When was the last time you heard the Mayor talk about the rights of pedestrians and bicyclists?

Winnipeg has abandoned the concept of accountability and especially the concept that our elected representatives have any responsibility for the conditions in this city. I for one am tired of all the excuses and expensive solutions (e.g. helicopter!) that our elected representatives feed us instead of taking their responsibilities seriously!

Shane Nestruck
381 Arnold Ave
Winnipeg
510-8828
474-2588
shanedn@mts.net
'The Carbon Economy' is a false god!'
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Shane's Corner