Trudeau’s cabinet makeover largely a reaction to U.S. politi

Trudeau’s cabinet makeover largely a reaction to U.S. politi

Postby Oscar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:24 am

Trudeau’s cabinet makeover largely a reaction to U.S. political ripples: expert

[ http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/01/11/tru ... rs1_4_2017)&mc_cid=a6cfb42e12&mc_eid=65e9a66f14 ]

NDP MPs raise concerns over whether rookie MPs on major files like Democratic Institutions and International Trade will be able to make any real policy progress.

PHOTO: Chrystia Freeland, formerly the minister of International Trade, will now be Canada's minister of Foreign Affairs, while retaining control of Canada-U.S. trade relations. The Hill Times photograph by Jake Wright

By TIM NAUMETZ PUBLISHED : Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017 1:03 PM

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shook up key positions in his cabinet on Tuesday as he prepared for the new realities of a Donald Trump presidency by naming former International Trade minister Chrystia Freeland as Canada’s new Foreign Affairs minister, while, in an unconventional move, also announcing that the climbing cabinet star would remain in charge of trade relations with the United States.

In the shuffle, he also appointed two rookie MPs to key cabinet positions—Democratic Institutions and International Trade—causing NDP MPs to question whether the new faces will be able to make any real policy progress.

Mr. Trudeau sidestepped a suggestion on Tuesday that he has allowed president-elect Donald Trump to at least influence, if not dictate, his management of his government.

“The fact is, we are always going to be expected by Canadians to adjust and to put our best team forward in dealing with the important issues that matter to Canadians, whether it be the relationship with the United States, whether it be the relationship with China, whether it be how we engage with Europe through some essential times as we look towards ratification of CETA,” Mr. Trudeau told reporters. “There are a broad range of ways and opportunities to serve this government in a large team and that’s exactly what we are putting forward.”

When asked why it was so important to have Ms. Freeland retain control of Canada-U.S. trade relations as Foreign Affairs minister, Mr. Trudeau said, “One of the things that we’ve seen from president-elect Trump is that he very much takes a trade and job lens to his engagements with the world in international diplomacy. And it makes sense for the person who is responsible for foreign relations with the United States to also have the ability and the responsibility to engage with issues such as NAFTA and the broad range of trade issues that we’ll be facing with our friends and neighbours south of the border.”

Tuesday’s shuffle saw the departure of Mr. Dion from cabinet, as well as John McCallum, who was minister of Immigration but has now been recommended by Mr. Trudeau as Canada’s new ambassador to China.

Reportedly, Mr. Dion was offered ambassadorship in both France and Germany, but is said to be still considering his options.

MORE:

[ http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/01/11/tru ... rs1_4_2017)&mc_cid=a6cfb42e12&mc_eid=65e9a66f14 ]
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Trudeau’s cabinet makeover largely a reaction to U.S. po

Postby Oscar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 am

Trudeau's new 'democracy' minister is personally committed to electoral reform

[ http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/karl-ne ... Q.facebook ]

By Karl Nerenberg | January 11, 2017

EXCERPT:

Those who think replacing the first-past-the-post system is a good, even vitally necessary, idea might be asking why the prime minister didn't entrust Stéphane Dion with the job.

It could have been an appropriate swan song for the fearless and combative political scientist who entered politics 20 years ago, as a constitutional expert and unapologetic opponent of separatism.

While many might think Dion's grit, commitment to principle and determination were a bit too intense for the role of diplomat-in-chief, those are exactly the qualities needed to push the reform process to completion. . . . .
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Trudeau’s cabinet makeover largely a reaction to U.S. po

Postby Oscar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 am

Statement by the Honourable Stéphane Dion

[ http://sdion.liberal.ca/en/news-nouvell ... hane-dion/ ]

January 10, 2017

For one year, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau gave me the honour of being his Minister of Foreign Affairs. As is his privilege, he has just entrusted this great responsibility to another person. I wish Chrystia the best of luck.

On January 25th 1996, I entered politics at the request of Prime Minister Jean Chrétien. I was envisaging a brief parenthesis in my life. It has been, in fact, an incredible adventure. For this, I am indebted to the prime ministers and Liberal leaders who placed their confidence in me, to my colleagues in Parliament, to the public servants who supported me with competence and professionalism, to the members of the Liberal Party of Canada, to my political teams who, in Ottawa as in Saint-Laurent – Cartierville, placed their talents and their enthusiasm at my service. With all my heart, I thank the voters of Saint-Laurent – Cartierville who, a full eight times, placed their confidence in me and gave me the honour of representing them in the House of Commons. Of course, I could not have accomplished anything without all the sacrifices made by Janine and Jeanne. I thank them for all their love.

Over the last twenty-one years, I have devoted myself to my riding, to my fellow citizens, to Québec, to all of Canada, to the role that we must play in the world, and to the Liberal Party of Canada. Now, I shall deploy my efforts outside active politics. I have enjoyed political life, especially when I was able to make a difference to benefit my fellow citizens. I emerge full of energy…renewable! But politics is not the only way to serve one’s country. Fortunately!
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to PURE(?) POLITICS