KURTENBACH: Weapons and Hunting.

Postby Oscar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:15 pm

June 7, 2014

To the Editor,

Pat Vogt of Regina has to be congratulated for a fine letter regarding the May 24th issue of the Star Phoenix featuring "The Rise of the Huntress."
[ http://www.thestarphoenix.com/life/rise ... story.html ]

I, too, was angry and sad to read that now even young females can also be recognized for their skill and the thrill that one is supposed to feel when you have the ability to kill a bird or animal with a gun or a bow and arrow. The thrill of the kill totally evades me, as does the idea that killing some animal or bird should be called a "sport" to be enjoyed as a great outdoor activity. Besides, I know [from experience] that eating bear meat does not meet the approval of my taste buds!

I much prefer to view the (camera) shots made of hundreds of birds and animals from many areas of Canada. This has been made possible through the admirable patience of a young man, who grew up in my home town, (Cudworth, SK). His name is Jason Leo Bantle. Over a number of years, he has compiled a great album of wonderful coloured photographs and framed photos. Some of these may be seen in one of his show places, "All in the Wild", on 8th street here in Saskatoon.

Now to get back to the issue of "The Rise of the Huntress"

For a number of reasons, I have an uneasy feeling that Canada and some Canadians are going down the road that many of our American neighbours follow: that having the right to bear arms is an integral part of their culture.

For example, when there appeared to be some political differences and violence in Ukraine, our Prime-Minister, instead of sending over to that part of the world some skilled negotiators in an endeavour to resolve problems peacefully, Canada sent over six fighter planes and some personnel with military skill.

Our government has recently also allowed the sale of ten billion dollars of armoured military equipment and training to Saudi Arabia. This is one of the countries that has a record of some of the worst human rights abuses on Earth.

And now, just a few days ago, in Moncton NB, a young man, age 24, is under arrest for allegedly killing three RCMP officers, and wounding two more, using a rifle to commit these murders. Preliminary investigation by police of this man's residence and his computer before he was arrested noted that he favoured the federal government's legislation to eliminate the long gun registry.

Leo Kurtenbach
Saskatoon, SK
Phone: 306.652 5129.
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to MILITARIZATION OF CANADA