Military Training Gets Credit in Regina High Schools

Military Training Gets Credit in Regina High Schools

Postby Oscar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:13 pm

New program gives Regina high schoolers credit for army training

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.2753456 ]

Program to launch in Catholic, public systems starting in February 2015

CBC News Posted: Sep 02, 2014 1:04 PM CT Last Updated: Sep 03, 2014 7:37 AM CT

High school students in Regina will soon be able to undergo basic military training and get a school credit for it.

The Army Reserve Basic Military Qualification Co-op program is being launched in the city's public and Catholic systems during the 2014-15 school year.

It's for Grade 10-12 students who are at least 16 years old and want a taste of the army life.

"And that will be done through a Core high school credit — the first time in Canada that this has been put in place," said Col. Ross Ermel, commander of the 38th Canadian Brigade Group, which is made up of reserve units from Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.

Students in reserve program will get 2 credits

Students will in fact get two high school credits; one for Canadian History 30 (which they must take as part of the program) and a second for the reserve program.

The 23-day reserve program includes military drill, first aid, weapons handling, physical fitness training and other activities.

Among the attractions is the students will be paid — about $2,000 over the 23 days, according to Ermel.

- - - SNIP - - -

Don Morgan, Saskatchewan's Minister of Education, told CBC News he supports efforts by Canada's military to recruit young people.

"This gives our students some different learning opportunities, great chances to learn life and leadership skills," Morgan, himself a former sea cadet, said Tuesday. "So we think this is a really strong initiative."

When asked if he anticipates any backlash to a program that pays students to learn how to handle weapons during school hours, Morgan said he did not think so.

"I think most people in our province have got strong enough support for the military, I don't think there will be push back from everybody," he said.
Last edited by Oscar on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar
Site Admin

KURTENBACH: Basic Military Training

Postby Oscar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:14 pm

KURTENBACH: Basic Military Training

September 13, 2014

To the Editor,

I was appalled, angered and disappointed to learn that in our province an educational program would promote and endorse basic military training for 16 year old students. A former Saskatchewan resident, now living in Vancouver, emailed me the news that our students can now earn high school and military dual credits. She stated that when she heard the news on the CBC, she was angered and stated that she felt this was an endeavour to "normalize war." It was particularly discouraging to note that the Regina Catholic schools were "cooperating" in the dubious benefits of this kind of education.

I simply could not help but wonder, if Jesus were living around Regina today, would He be taking advantage of the military training, and the paid employment that apparently goes with it?

About 70 or 75 years ago, I took basic military training at Dundurn, Saskatchewan. There's one part of that training that still sticks in my memory. We were given rifles that had a bayonet attached to it. And then we were ordered to rush and thrust the bayonet into a bale of straw, which was supposed to represent the belly of the "enemy." Of course, that took place at the onset of WW2. Perhaps now the political military propaganda is more sophisticated. But maybe that is the reason why I chose to serve for 3 years in the RCAF.

Howard Zinn was a well-known American author and historian who died in 2010. During WW2, he was a bombardier on an American B-17. Later on in life, he became an anti-war activist, and turned in all his medals. He recalled his experience of launching bombs from a great height, of not having to smell the blood, or hear the anguished cries and wailing of human beings who bore the brunt of those air attacks.

Today, the world's political leaders provide funding of over a trillion dollars annually for military weapons, training and equipment. What a colossal waste!

Leo Kurtenbach,
Saskatoon, SK
Phone: 306.652.5129
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to MILITARIZATION OF CANADA