Terrorist Ends Canada’s Innocence

Postby Oscar » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:55 pm

[ http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... cence.html ]

TERROR UP NORTH 10.22.14

A gunman attacked parliament in an unprecedented attack, bringing violence to the very heart of Canadian democracy.

An unprecedented attack shook Canada on Wednesday as at least one gunman attacked parliament and the country's war memorial in the capital, Ottawa.

A fundamentally quiet and orderly town, Ottawa was rocked by the shooting of a uniformed Canadian soldier as he stood guard over the National War Memorial, located right across the street from Parliament Hill and the prime minister's offices at Langevin Block.

It was the second attack inside Canada this week. The shootings come just two days after a 25-year-old man described by police as a "radicalized" Muslim drove his car into two Canadian soldiers in a city outside of Montreal, killing one and seriously injuring the other. Martin Couture-Rouleau, the suspect in that incident, was arrested in July while trying to travel to Turkey. Following his rampage, Courture-Rouleau was shot and killed.

On Wednesday morning, a man arrived by car, with a blanket concealing a rifle, and shot the soldier four times at the memorial, a witness told a Canadian news station. [ http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/archives/s ... 00348.html ]

The situation quickly escalated, with reports that Parliament itself was under attack and dozens of shots had been fired inside the legislature. Members of Parliament were caucusing in the building, and the building was promptly locked down. According to local Canadian press reports, a gunman wounded a security guard on Parliament Hill before he was shot by the sergeant-at-arms. [ http://www.660news.com/2014/10/22/shots ... emorial-2/ ]

A Globe and Mail reporter posted on YouTube a harrowing video of shots fired during a police sweep of Parliament Hill.

Entire blocks of the city remained in lockdown Wednesday, though police would not say at an afternoon press conference whether they were looking for more gunmen—only that they want the city to remain alert.

Swarms of police, gunfire, panic—all foreign to a city known for its quaint, Commonwealth style, still air, and orderliness.

Earlier this month, the House of Commons voted to approve an anti-ISIS air combat role for Canada. One purported ISIS fighter from Canada praised Rouleau and encouraged others to follow suit with violence. [ http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014 ... ology.html ] Whether this incident is connected or not, it has been a week of violence never before seen in Canadian political history.

It was the second attack inside Canada this week.

Canada is no stranger to terrorism, having endured the kidnappings of government officials by radical domestic terrorists known as the Front de liberation du Quebec in 1970, during what was known as the October Crisis. Mass shootings are also not unprecedented, having happened at Ecole Polytechnique in 1989 and at Dawson College in 2006.

But never before has an attack so brazenly targeted Canadian institutions in the nation's capital. With at least one attack linked to Muslim extremism this week, and violence at the very symbols of Canadian democracy Wednesday, this is an unprecedented assault on my home country.

Perhaps that's the reason why security around Ottawa's parliamentary precinct has been so haphazard, with at least four different and uncoordinated protective services roaming the area. [ http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e21225945/ ] In 2012, an internal Canadian government report called for the consolidation of these forces. [ http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/ ... _36890.pdf ] Two years later: no dice.

There will be vigils. There will be memorials. There will be an investigation, perhaps a Royal Commission.

But for now, as prominent political writer John Ivison wrote in shock at the news Wednesday morning, there is only deep pain and wondering in the nation's capital.

"Canada," Ivison wrote, "has just lost her innocence."

This article has been updated throughout.
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Terrorist Ends Canada’s Innocence

Postby Oscar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:42 am

Canadian Terror Wave: a Modern-Day Gladio

[ http://www.globalresearch.ca/canadian-t ... io/5409455 ]

By Tony Cartalucci Global Research, October 23, 2014

As warned, after multiple staged incidents used to ratchet up fear and paranoia in the build-up to US and its allies’ military intervention in Syria and Iraq, at least two live attacks have now been carried out in Canada – precisely as they were predicted.

The first attack involved a deadly hit-and-run that left one Canadian soldier dead. AP would report in its article, “Terrorist ideology blamed in Canada car attack,” [ http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the ... story.html ] that:

A young convert to Islam who killed a Canadian soldier in a hit-and-run had been on the radar of federal investigators, who feared he had jihadist ambitions and seized his passport when he tried to travel to Turkey, authorities said Tuesday.

The second, most recent attack, involved a shooting in Ottawa injuring several and killing another Canadian soldier on parliament Hill. RT in its article, “Ottawa gunman ‘identified’ as recent Muslim convert, high-risk traveler,” would report that: While the name of the Ottawa gunman is yet to be announced, a number of officials told numerous media that the shooter is believed to be Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a recent Muslim convert, allegedly designated as a high-risk traveler. [ http://rt.com/news/198376-ottawa-shoote ... m-convert/ ]

Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was born in Quebec as Michael Joseph Hall north of Montreal, two US officials told Reuters, claiming that American law enforcement agencies have been advised that the attacker recently converted to Islam.

AP sources also identified the man to be Zehaf-Bibeau. A Twitter account associated with Islamic State militants tweeted a photo they identified as the Ottawa shooter. The Globe and Mail reports that the shooter was designated a “high-risk traveler” by the Canadian authorities with his passport seized.

Clearly, both suspects were under the watch of not only Canadian authorities, but also US investigators, before the attacks.

Canada’s Attacks Were Predictable – Western Security Agencies are Prime Suspects

It was warned last month after security agencies staged scares in both the US and Australia, that suspects under investigation, being walked through planned terrorist attacks by Western security agencies as part of “sting operations” would inevitably be switched to live terrorist attacks. [ http://landdestroyer.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... -isis.html ]

In mid-September A Rochester man, Mufid A. Elfgeeh, was accused by the FBI of attempting to provide material support to ISIS (undercover FBI agents), attempting to kill US soldiers, and possession of firearms and silencers (provided to him by the FBI). The FBI’s own official press release stated (emphasis added):

According to court records, Elfgeeh attempted to provide material support to ISIS in the form of personnel, namely three individuals, two of whom were cooperating with the FBI. Elfgeeh attempted to assist all three individuals in traveling to Syria to join and fight on behalf of ISIS. Elfgeeh also plotted to shoot and kill members of the United States military who had returned from Iraq. As part of the plan to kill soldiers, Elfgeeh purchased two handguns equipped with firearm silencers and ammunition from a confidential source. The handguns were made inoperable by the FBI before the confidential source gave them to Elfgeeh. [ http://www.fbi.gov/buffalo/press-releas ... -silencers ]

It was warned that only an inoperable firearm stood between Elfgeeh’s arrest and his successful execution of deadly plans hatched by him and his undercover FBI handlers. This script, written by the FBI to entrap Elfgeeh, would be followed almost to the letter in live attacks subsequently carried out in Canada resulting in the death of two Canadian soldiers. Conveniently, both suspects are now dead and little chance remains of ascertaining the truth of who they were in contact with and how they carried out their deadly attacks.

With both suspects having been on both US and Canadian watch lists – it is very likely undercover agents were involved in either one or both cases. While many possibilities exist, Western security agencies should be among the first suspects considered as potential collaborators.

A Modern-Day Operation Gladio - Inducing Fear, Obedience, and Control

MORE:

[ http://www.globalresearch.ca/canadian-t ... io/5409455 ]
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:53 am

TRUDEAU: On Our Shared National Tragedy

[ http://www.liberal.ca/newsroom/blog/sta ... gs-ottawa/ ]

October 22, 2014

I am deeply saddened by yesterday’s horrific events here in Ottawa, and unreservedly condemn these brutal and heartless acts of violence.

This attack is unforgivable. Should any other perpetrators or co-conspirators exist, they must be caught and be punished to the full force of our laws. I’ve extended an offer of full support to the government, along with any assistance members of our Party can provide at this time.

My thoughts and prayers, along with those of my colleagues, go out to the family and friends of the victims of this horrific shooting, including Corporal Nathan Frank Cirillo, who was standing dutifully, guarding one of our nation’s most sacred monuments.

Words cannot express the deep sadness we feel over his loss.

To the brave women and men who rushed to the scene to confront the shooter, and help keep us safe, I can say only thank you. Thank you for your selfless courage and your professionalism in a time of crisis.

In the days that follow, there will be questions, anger, and perhaps confusion. This is natural, but we cannot let it get the better of us. Losing ourselves to fear and speculation is the intention of those who commit these heinous acts.

They mean to shake us. We will remain resolved.

They want us to forget ourselves. Instead, we should remember.

We should remember who we are. We are a proud democracy, a welcoming and peaceful nation, and a country of open arms and open hearts. We are a nation of fairness, justice, and the rule of law.

We will not be intimidated into changing that.

If anything, these are the values and principles to which we must hold on even tighter. Our dedication to democracy and the institutions we have built are the foundation of our society. A continued belief in both will guide us correctly into the future. Staying true to our values in a time of crisis will make us an example to the world.

Criminals cannot and will not dictate to us how we act as a nation, how we govern ourselves, or how we treat each other. They cannot and will not dictate our values. And they do not get to decide how we use our shared public spaces.

Yesterday we heard about a loss of innocence in Canada. This is inaccurate. Canada is not innocent to the threats we face, and we know that we are not immune. What is true is that we have not let those threats shape us, and we have never bowed to those who mean to undermine our values and way of life.

We have remained Canadians. And this should be how we will carry on.

We deserve answers to how and why this happened. They will be vital in preventing any potential future attack.

To our friends and fellow citizens in the Muslim community, Canadians know acts such as these committed in the name of Islam are an aberration of your faith. Continued mutual cooperation and respect will help prevent the influence of distorted ideological propaganda posing as religion. We will walk forward together, not apart.

In the coming days, we will be inundated with pictures and videos showing what happened. But there is one in particular we should remember: the picture in our minds we have of a Canadian guarding Canadians. That is who we truly are. That is who we will continue to be.

Thank you.

Justin Trudeau
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am

MAY: Speech: Shooting on Parliament Hill

[ http://elizabethmaymp.ca/speech-shootin ... ament-hill ]

On Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 in Statements

Elizabeth May: Mr. Speaker, I thank all my colleagues for giving me this opportunity to speak on this very serious and grave day. We had a horrible day yesterday. I especially want to thank the Prime Minister for his words today, as the Leader of the Opposition and Leader of the Liberal Party.
We are together now and always.

It is rare in the House to be united as we are now. We experience shared grief occasionally, such as the day we gathered to honour our colleague Jim Flaherty, but this day we have shared something far different.

All of us in different ways yesterday experienced the fear of being locked down somewhere, not knowing quite what was going on. All of us, and some of my colleagues far more than I, experienced the real terror that comes from thinking someone with a gun is on the other side of a door and they are at risk.

I know these moments are important and we should underline that there is no partisanship in the House when we are all together. In the same way, I guess that there are no atheists in fox holes, there are no political party leaders when we share a common experience of such basic fear and concern for our loved ones and for our well-being.

All of us together are family. We need to feel it and say it more often, that we are together in this place, and our constituents need to know. We are not at war with each other, as the Prime Minister said.

Together, we work together for our country. Whatever our views are about the future of the country. Whatever course we want the country to take, at a very basic level we are nothing more than human beings, who at a very fundamental level care for each other. All of the people in this place are my colleagues. My colleagues must know how much I care for all of them and love them, and this is something our constituents need to know.

I cannot add anything to the eloquence of what was said, but it does need to be said again. This country lost two wonderful men this week through cold-blooded murder.

I talk about the cold-blooded murders of Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent.

These are crimes that cut to the heart of all of us. We get to know something of their lives, and we get to realize with every passing day and revealed detail of their personal lives how much we all lose as a nation when two such fine men are so senselessly and brutally killed.

We know, as I think we always knew, that our Sergeant-at-Arms is a consummate professional. He is more than a ceremonial figure. The finest thing that we could do for him right now would be to let him leave this place and go fly fishing on the Miramichi.

In closing, I want to wish all of my colleagues and all Canadians well. I pray for one thing: that we hang on to the sense of common, shared purpose, that we remain calm, and that we wait for answers from the police before we make any assumptions about motivations, connections or the extent of what we face.

If I were a betting person, and it is good for my bank account that I am not, I would put money on these being the acts of isolated, disturbed and deeply troubled men who were drawn to something crazy. I do not believe that it was a vast network, or that the country is more at risk today than it was last week. However, that is my opinion. I can be wrong. I have been wrong before, and I may be wrong again. I am undoubtedly going to be wrong again, but what I would like to suggest is that we wait for answers from the police before we make assumptions, and that we speak calmly, truthfully and openly to all Canadians.

Let us be the place that exemplifies the words of our founding documents. Let us exemplify peace, order and good government.

- - - - - -

“Lock your office door and stay away from the windows…”
[ http://elizabethmaymp.ca/lock-your-offi ... he-windows ]
On Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014 in Blogs
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:43 am

MULCAIR: Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair addresses Canada after Ottawa shootings

[ http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2014/1 ... -shootings ]

Mulcair called it a " cowardly act designed to strike at the heart of our democracy, at the heart of who we are."

Posted on 10/23/2014 5:51:00 AM by Michelle Rosa

WATCH Tom Mulcair's statement here:
[ http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=4745 ... nPageNum=1 ]

Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair made this statement following Wednesday's shootings in Ottawa:

"Good evening my fellow Canadians. Today the peace of our nation's capital was shattered by an act of hatred and brutality -- cowardly act designed to strike at the heart of our democracy, at the heart of who we are.

But I'm here tonight in solidarity, side-by-side with my colleagues, with our Prime Minister and with all Canadians.

This attack struck with sudden and deadly violence. It was carried out on the very ground where we come together to exchange ideas with the knowledge that whatever our differences, we will always resolve them peacefully.

It was intended to make us more fearful of our neighbours and less confident in ourselves. But it has failed. Today's events have instead only succeeded in drawing us closer, in making us stronger.

And to the brave women and men of law enforcement, our security services and our Canadian forces, I want to say that your determination, your professionalism and indeed your heroism today will not soon be forgotten.

Just as we have all borne witness to these horrific acts, we have watched in awe your acts of courage, now an abiding emblem of Canadian strength, values and valour.

The thoughts and prayers of everyone here in our nation's capital are with the family and loved ones of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, the Canadian Forces member from Hamilton, Ont., who lost his life this morning — the second in just a few days.

Cpl. Cirillo was literally standing on guard at a monument dedicated to the sacrifice of others who came before him. To his family and friends, I tell you that 35 million Canadians at home and abroad from coast to coast to coast and around the world stand with you tonight and we will not forget.

In this moment, Canadians are unified in grief and stricken with disbelief. Canada is shaken today but we shall not waver. We woke up this morning in a country blessed by love, diversity and peace and tomorrow we will do the same.

These acts were driven by hatred, but also designed to drive us to hate. They will not. We will stand up, we will stand together. We will persevere and we will prevail.

Good evening."
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to MILITARIZATION OF CANADA