YANCOAL - Earl Grey, Southey & Strasbourg

YANCOAL - Earl Grey, Southey & Strasbourg

Postby Oscar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Proposed Yancoal potash mine divides Saskatchewan community

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3636635 ]

Mine project currently under review by government

By Adam Hunter, CBC News Posted: Jun 15, 2016 5:52 PM CT| Last Updated: Jun 15, 2016 5:54 PM CT

About 60 people crammed into a room at the legislature on Wednesday to voice their concerns over a proposed Yancoal potash mine near Southey.

"Ten years ago the province was begging to have a community like ours, now they are set to destroy it," said Neil Wagner a Southey area business owner who grew up near the mine site.

"Our concern is about the environmental impact this is going to have and that's our issue with it."

Millions of cubic metres of water to be used

Yancoal, which is owned by the government of China, wants to build a solution mine, which would use millions of cubic metres of water each year to dissolve the potash.

In solution mining, water is poured into wells to bring potash up to the surface instead of conventional digging and extraction of the mineral from underground mine shafts.

Yancoal has a license to use water from the Buffalo Pound reservoir for the proposed operation and is also set to pay a water rights fee to Saskatchewan's Water Security Agency.

The mining company has said it will need a maximum of between 11 and 12 million cubic metres of water annually, but that amount will reduce substantially after operations are stable.

Yancoal has said it could start construction as early as this year. But opponents believe that the mine is not necessarily a done deal.

"If you feel you're too small to be effective -- have you ever been in a room with a mosquito in the dark?" said business owner and resident Thera Nordal. "We will continue to make noise until our voices are heard."

'Disappointed' after meeting with local MLA

The government had extended its period for feedback from 30 to 45 days, that expired on June 6. The group of concerned residents asked to meet with the minister of environment and the minister of economy. Instead they met with their MLA Glen Hart on Tuesday night.

The group described the meeting as disappointing. Wagner said Hart alluded to the economic need for this project.

"This community may need to look at possibly sacrificing themselves because the government needs the resource money right now, Wagner said. "He mentioned it at the beginning of the meeting and he repeated it at the end of the meeting."

On Wednesday afternoon, Hart denied that he implied the community should sacrifice itself for economic benefit.

"I didn't say anything like that," Hart said. "There are other companies that are looking at developing potash mines and I said if they don't develop now, perhaps later on ten years down the road or less, depending on the potash market."

MORE:

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3636635 ]

= = = = = =

Critics of Yancoal potash mine want project slowed down

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3618880 ]

Solution mine would use millions of cubic metres of water annually

CBC News Posted: Jun 06, 2016 1:46 PM CT| Last Updated: Jun 06, 2016 4:25 PM CT

A group that includes environmentalists, opposition politicians and landowners is raising concerns about a proposed potash mine north of Regina.

Yancoal, which is owned by the government of China, wants to build a solution mine, which would use millions of cubic metres of water each year to dissolve the potash.

Jim Harding, an environmentalist with the Qu'Appelle Valley Environmental Association who lives downstream of the proposed mine, says the Qu'Appelle Valley watershed is already in a fragile state.

"Everything from surface water, pesticide, fertilizer, Regina untreated sewage, road impacts on wetlands," Harding said.

"We need to start to care about our environment."

Harding says the project cannot be allowed to go ahead if it means sacrificing the Prairie habitat. He said an extension to the period of public feedback should be extended beyond today's deadline.

Company says project has many supporters

Robin Kusch, spokesperson for Yancoal, said there are many local people who want the project to go ahead.

"You can't ignore the fact that there are community members and communities that are supportive of the project," Kusch said.

"You can't ignore the fact that people see the potential positive benefits; not just royalties or taxes but spinoff economy in terms of contracts for vending and supplying goods to the project. Plus you have employment that would be associated with it."

Kusch said Yancoal also hopes to work closely with those who do not support the project.

"Accommodating the people who are opposed to the project going forward will be the key to the success of this project," Kusch said. "We have to work with them to minimize the negative impacts to their communities and then work with them to optimize the positives."

Government still reviewing potash mine

The provincial government said it has already extended its time period for public consultation from 30 days to 45. Today will be the final day for the government to accept feedback.

MORE:

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3618880 ]

= = = = = =

People around Earl Grey, Sask., discuss proposed potash mine

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3165238 ]

Public meeting held in Earl Grey

CBC News Posted: Jul 23, 2015 1:33 PM CT| Last Updated: Jul 23, 2015 10:34 PM CT

People from around Earl Grey, Sask., took part in a public meeting Thursday to discuss a proposed Chinese-owned potash mine in the area.

Yancoal Canada, which operates coal mines in China and Australia, is proposing a potash mine with an annual output of 2.8 million tonnes near the communities of Earl Grey, Southey and Strasbourg.

Prior to the meeting, local resident Cathi Beckel said she has concerns about the project, noting there are too many risks — including water security issues and a boom and bust job situation — with too few benefits.

"I'm concerned about our environment. I'm concerned about our farmers. I'm concerned about our communities," Beckel said. "These big industries come in and they really change communities."

Representatives from Yancoal, and provincial officials from the ministries of the economy and the environment were at the meeting to make presentations on the proposal. There was also a question and answer session.

MAP EARL GREY july 23 2015
The proposed site for the potash mine is just north of Earl Grey, Sask. (Google Maps/CBC)

The project plans to use a solution mining technique where water is poured into wells to bring potash up to the surface instead of conventional digging and extraction of the mineral from underground mine shafts.

Yancoal has a license to use water from the Buffalo Pound reservoir for the proposed operation and is also set to pay a water rights fee to Saskatchewan's Water Security Agency.

Yancoal spokesperson Asad Naqvi said the company will need a maximum of between 11 and 12 million cubic metres of water for the mine annually, but noted the amount will reduce substantially after operations are stable.

"I don't know the exact number but it would be quite a lot," Naqvi said. "Initially it would be high but then you start recycling the water and the amount goes down."

Beckel said water usage is a big concern and described the proposed operation as needing an "incredible amount" of water.

Carol Nixon, another local resident, had a similar view and said water should not be compromised for a foreign-owned business.

"Freshwater is our lifeblood. Without it our communities won't exist," Nixon said prior to the meeting. "We're upset."

Naqvi said the amount of water Yancoal will use is a sustainable amount, based upon an environmental impact study.

"That would not affect the human use or even the farming use," he said.

MORE:

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3165238 ]

= = = = =

Chinese company buys potash properties near Regina

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.1016417 ]

CBC News Posted: Sep 30, 2011 4:28 PM CT| Last Updated: Sep 30, 2011 4:21 PM CT

A Chinese firm has bought eight potash exploration sites near Regina for $110 million.

China-based Yancoal Canada Resources Co. Ltd. bought the properties from North Atlantic Potash Inc., the latter revealed on Friday. North Atlantic is itself the Canadian subsidiary of Russian fertilizer company JSC Acron.

North Atlantic CEO David Waugh said the sale allows the company "to substantially increase" its exploration of other sites in Saskatchewan.

North American Potash began a partnership with a major international mining company, Rio Tinto PLC, only a few days ago.

"North Atlantic Potash has moved quickly to prioritize and maximize the potential of its potash permits in Saskatchewan," company president Arie Zuckerman said Friday in a release.

"After a successful closure of an important JV with RioTinto, this deal positions North Atlantic as a central player in the emerging potash development arena," Zucherman said.

= = = = = =

Rio Tinto, North Atlantic Potash sign mining deal

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... l-1.992883 ]

September 27, 2011

A major Russian company and global mining giant Rio Tinto PLC are teaming up in a joint venture that could lead to the construction of the next big potash mine in Saskatchewan.

Financial terms of the deal between North Atlantic Potash Inc., the Canadian subsidiary of Russia's JSC Acron, and Rio Tinto were not revealed.

"This agreement is another step to maximize the development potential of our vast potash exploration holdings in Saskatchewan," said Arie Zuckerman, president of North Atlantic Potash.

"We strongly believe that together with the professional experience and financial capabilities Rio Tinto brings into this project, we will be able to be the next producing mine in Canada."

The transaction is part of a broader trend of potash producers joining forces on new projects as global fertilizer demand rises in tandem with an ever-increasing demand for food in emerging economies.

The Saskatchewan deal gives Rio Tinto a stake in the world's most prolific potash producing region, while the Russian company will benefit from the Anglo-Australian miner's rich cash resources and longstanding mining experience in Canada and around the world.

"This joint venture, in my opinion, isn't as much for cash as it is for technical ability and know-how," said Marin Katusa, a market strategist with Casey Research.

MORE:

[ http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... l-1.992883 ]
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: YANCOAL - Earl Grey, Southey & Strasbourg

Postby Oscar » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Environmental group urges caution in ‘fast-tracking’ proposed potash mine north of Regina

[ http://globalnews.ca/news/2745238/envir ... of-regina/ ]

By David Baxter Reporter Global News June 6, 2016 6:37 pm Updated: August 9, 2016 12:18 pm

An environmental group is calling on the province to stop what they call “fast-tracking” a proposed potash mine near Southey, Sask.

“The incremental approach, project by project, is no way to look at water conservation or future water security,” Jim Harding of the Qu’Appelle Valley Environmental Association (QVEA), said.

The QVEA is worried about Chinese-owned Yancoal’s proposed mine, which would be located about 60 kilometres north of Regina, including its impact on a number of environmental concerns, specifically water.

Harding also said the 45-day public comment period on the mine’s over 1,500 page Environmental Impact Assessment is too short. An extension was granted, as the normal comment period is 30 days.

The group fears the mine, which plans to use solution mining, will impact not just the local water supply, but the Qu’Appelle watershed as well.

Solution mining involves pumping large amounts of water underground to access potash reserves, which are too deep for conventional underground mining.

“They’re talking about 20,000 cubic metres a day of brine being injected into the Hatfield aquifer,” Harding said.
Once used, Harding said the water is permanently removed from the renewable water cycle.
“The Water Security Agency has done an independent assessment of what capacity is available to the system, and they reassure us that the water we’re going to be pulling out of it is quite small compared to what capacity is there,” Robin Kusch, Yancoal’s public and community relations lead, said.

The Water Security Agency has not yet confirmed this statement.

Yancoal plans on using Buffalo Pound as their primary water source. The lake is the water supply for a number of communities including Moose Jaw, Sask. and Regina. K + S also plans on using it for their water supply at their Legacy Site.

In an effort to mitigate the impact on the water supply, Kusch said Yancoal is going to be using a water recycling method where they’ll be able to reuse about 30 per cent of the waste water produced from injection mining. The mine site has other critics like the Havelock Special Projects Committee, which has hosted a number of information nights about the mine.

However, according to an Earl Grey, Sask village councillor, the project has the support of municipal governments in his town. Southey, Strasburg, and the Rural Municipality of Longlaketon are also in favour of the mine. “Of 960 people in the RM, 900 were for it, and 60 were against,” Cam Fischer said. Fischer acknowledges some people who will be living close to the mine site are against the mine, and there can be drawbacks to living near the mine.

However, he said the mine can bring an estimated 400 full-time jobs and young people he says the area needs.

“But the reality is the benefits for this RM and this community far, far exceed any negative, in any way shape or form,” he explained.

Assuming the mine is approved by the province, Yancoal hopes to begin the 36-month construction process in early 2017.

RELATED:
Residents still have concerns about proposed potash mine north of Earl Grey – January 29, 2016

[ http://globalnews.ca/news/2486772/resid ... earl-grey/ ]
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to POTASH