Ronnie’s Inauguration Day Message - OCA

Ronnie’s Inauguration Day Message - OCA

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Ronnie’s Inauguration Day Message

[ https://www.organicconsumers.org/essays ... ay-message ]

January 20, 2017 Organic Consumers Association by Ronnie Cummins

Today, Donald Trump will be sworn in as president of the United States.

Today, I'm announcing our #ConsumerRevolution and #PoliticalRevolution 2017-2020 platforms.

If Hillary Clinton were placing her hand on a Bible today, promising to protect the U.S. Constitution, we would be organizing a massive movement to change her positions on many issues, including war, Big Ag and GMOs.

If Bernie Sanders were taking the oath of office today, we would be celebrating his authenticity, and his solid track record (not just lip-service) of support for at least 90 percent of the issues we care about. Then we’d get to work on the other 10 percent—with hope and enthusiasm.

But today, we will witness the swearing in of a president who has signaled loud and clear his intent to maximize the profits of giant corporations—like Exxon Mobil, BP, and Monsanto and Bayer (whose merger he's set to approve)—on a scale never before seen in our lifetimes. Public and environmental health be damned.

Trump has appointed a slate of millionaire and billionaire corporate cronies to key, powerful positions, with orders to immediately set to work rolling back any regulations or policies that even hint at cutting into corporate profits. We will have an EPA Administrator, an Energy Secretary and a head of the CIA who largely reject the international scientific consensus that human behavior is a contributing factor to global warming.

We will have billionaire bankers running the U.S. Treasury Department and the American economy.

And yesterday we learned, not surprisingly, that the new USDA Secretary of Agriculture will be former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue. Another millionaire climate-denier, Perdue is a cheerleader for the worst of the worst agribusiness corporations. Based on his history, Perdue will have no interest in protecting the interests of rural farmers, farm workers or consumers from the routine poisoning of our food, water and air by factory farms, pesticides and GMOs.

We have our work cut out for us in the coming months and years. As Frances Fox Piven, a professor of political science and sociology, recently wrote, we’ll need to keep signing petitions, but that won't be enough. We’ll need to, as she said, “throw sand in the gears of everything” just to protect the most basic of human rights. [ http://commondreams.org/views/2017/01/1 ... everything ]

With that in mind, we have developed two platforms that will guide our work, beginning immediately.

MORE:

[ https://www.organicconsumers.org/essays ... ay-message ]
Oscar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8086
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:23 pm

Return to Pesticides

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron