Royal Bank Board - Michael McCain!

Postby Oscar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:25 am

September 12, 2006

W. Geoffrey Beattie, President
RBC Financial Group
P.O. Box 1, Royal Bank Plaza
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2J5

Dear Mr. Beattie,

After using the services of your bank for more than 20 years, I am closing my accounts with you – effectively immediately.

According to your website, Michael McCain, CEO of Maple Leaf Foods, is on the Board of Directors of the Royal Bank. As much as I am able, I will not have any association, no matter how remote, with enterprises which pollute and/or exploit our resources such as water, animals or people – example, the hog industry.

I take this opportunity to encourage you and all members of your Board of Directors, indeed your entire organization, to visit the websites below and inform yourselves about the expansion of the disgraceful and inhumane ‘pig factories’ across our beautiful country:

Stop the Hogs Coalition at
http://www.stopthehogs.com/index.htm

Beyond Factory Farming Coalition at http://www.beyondfactoryfarming.org/

GRACE Factory Farm Project at
http://www.factoryfarm.org/canada/

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Elaine M. Hughes
Box 23
Archerwill, SK S0E 0B0
CANADA

Cc: Manager, Royal Bank of Canada, Tisdale Branch, 1102-100th Street, Tisdale, SK S0E 1T0
Customer Relations Centre, RBC Financial Group, P.O. Box 1, Royal Bank Plaza, Toronto, Ontario M5J 2J5 Email: Customer Relations Centre
Oscar
Site Admin

Royal Bank Reply - close account

Postby Oscar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am

(Typed from original by EM Hughes)

Royal Bank of Canada
Customer Relations Centre
P.O. Box 1
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2J5
Tel.: 1-800-769-2540
Fax.: 416-974-3561

October 12, 2006

Elaine M. Hughes
Box 23
Archerwill, SK S0E 0B0

Dear Ms. Hughes:

Thank you for your letter of September 12, 2006, addressed to W. Geoffrey Beattie, President RBC Financial Group. Allow me to clarify that Mr. Beattie is a member of RBC’s Board of Directors, President of The Woodridge Company Limited and Deputy Chairman of The Thomson Corporation. Mr. Gordon M. Nixon is RBC Financial Group’s President and Chief Executive Office. RBC’s Customer Relations Center is responsible for addressing client concerns; as such your correspondence has been referred to this center for investigation. We at RBC Royal Bank (RBC) appreciate customer feedback as it is a valuable tool when assessing our products and services.

It is always unfortunate when a long-term client, such as you, makes the decision to sever the client/bank relationship. Although RBC makes customer care a benchmark priority, it is quite evident that, upon reviewing your letter, we have not met your expectations, and it is regrettable that you have found it necessary to seek an alternative financial services provider.

We note your concern that the contributing factor for deciding to sever your relationship with RBC is due to the fact that Mr. Michael McLean of Maple Leaf Foods, is a member of RBC’s Board of Directors. Please note, in considering individuals for nomination to the Board of Directors, the board’s Corporate Governance and Public Policy Committee carefully considers whether the candidate has demonstrated integrity and high ethical standards in both personal and professional dealings. Many other criteria enter into the decision, such as sound business judgment, independence of mind and business or professional experience, but integrity, honesty and the ability to generate public confidence are paramount considerations. As part of the selection process, an investigation into the candidate’s personal background is conducted.

Ms. Hughes, I appreciate your candor, and although from your comments we have not demonstrated this, we do value your business of over 20 years. However, having said this, I also respect your decision to end our banking relationship.

Thank you for taking the time to write, and I sincerely wish you well in your future endeavours.

Yours truly,

Original Signed by

Robin Rosevear
Manager, Customer Relations

Cc: S. Hay, Manager Tisdale branch, manager Melfort branch
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Factory Production of Animals