Government shocks hog industry

Postby Oscar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:51 am

Published in the Steinbach, MB newspaper

November 2006

Dear Sir:

It's a terrible shame and insulting that the Manitoba Pork Council and the hog producing industry can only squeal, when finally, action is being undertaken to protect our most important and vital resource, water.

The fact is, the hog industry, encouraged by the most stringent regulations that the Manitoba government had to offer, simply couldn’t stop growing. Now, however, the government has finally come to the conclusion that there has to be meaningful regulations and sufficient enforcement.

Although I would question the timing of the announcement, the recent changes expressed by the conservation minister could and should have been made many years ago. Environmentalists and thousands of Manitobans have been asking...no, pleading, for tougher measures for years and unrelenting they have been warning about the pollution and consequences of the mega barns. Now, a limited review of the nitrogen, and more importantly, phosphorus has come to the conclusion that indicates "they were right".

Millions upon millions of gallons of manure being pumped out and incorporated into fields is not a responsible way to promote and secure our precious water.

I have always maintained that treating the symptoms and spending a lo tof money on research and studies that are inclined to be focused to sustain the hog industry are of little benefit in the final analysis.

Treating the cause(s) is the right way to achieve success and it seems now, that the government has come to the same conclusion. As usual, I expect the Pork Council will state, "That is simply not true.”

Yes, undoubtedly, there will be a negative impact. It will impact the shareholder portfolios and also the hog producers. But the real question to ask is: "if mankind is to continue to live and survive on this planet, which is more important and vital for his existence My vote is for water. It seems to me that nature is screaming about our impact on the environment. We think wistfully of what has been lost and dismiss it as "The price of progress."

It's about time, we started redefining progress.

John Fefchak
Virden, MB

-30-
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Factory Production of Animals