Peskotomuhkati chief unhappy about nuclear reactor on his te

Peskotomuhkati chief unhappy about nuclear reactor on his te

Postby Oscar » Fri May 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Peskotomuhkati chief unhappy about nuclear reactor testing on his traditional territory

[ https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/p ... -reactors/ ]

Christopher Read May 16, 2021

Feds say they won’t reach zero emissions by 2050 without small nuclear reactors.

WATCH VIDEO: 4 min. 10 sec.

It’s a new kind of nuclear reactor that the federal government is putting up $50.5 million in development money for, but some Indigenous leaders are already speaking out against it.

Moltex Energy Canada is getting the tax-dollar investment to develop what the nuclear industry calls a “small modular reactor” or SMR – which is generally considered to be a reactor with a power output of 300 megawatts or less.

The Moltex SMR design is to be developed at New Brunswick Power’s Point LePreau Nuclear Generating Station, which is on the north shore of the Bay of Fundy and in Peskotomuhkati traditional territory.

ARC Clean Energy Canada is another operation also set to develop an SMR at the Point LePreau site. It was announced in February that ARC would get $20 million from the New Brunswick government if the company can raise $30 million of its own cash.

Hugh Akagi is Chief of Peskotomuhkati Nation and has concerns about more nuclear development in the aging facility.

“Well, I don’t feel very good about it, to be honest,” says Akagi. “You paid that money if you pay tax on anything in this country, you’ve just made a donation to Moltex. If you’re not concerned about $50 million being turned over to a corporation for a technology that does not exist – I hope you heard me correctly on that.”

The federal government has taken a shine to the idea of SMRs and Minister of Natural Resources Seamus O’Regan is on the record as saying “We have not seen a model where we can get to net-zero emissions by 2050 without nuclear.”

MORE . . . .
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Uranium/Nuclear/Waste