History of Nuclearization of Saskatchewan - 3 Part Series

History of Nuclearization of Saskatchewan - 3 Part Series

Postby Oscar » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:22 pm

NUCLEARIZATION OF SASKATCHEWAN . . . . Three-part series

[ http://cleangreensask.ca/ ]

Making the Links interview with Don Kossick and Peter Prebble on the History of Nuclearization
CFCR 90.5 FM Making the Links interview series with Don Kossick and noted Environmentalist, Peter Prebble
[ https://cfcr.ca/ ]

LISTEN: Part 1 focuses on the link between uranium mining and nuclear weapons.
How the Beaverlodge mine near Uranium City and the Gunnar mine on the north shore of Lake Athabasca were developed to supply the US atomic weapons industry. The successful campaign to stop a uranium refinery from being built in Warman, Saskatchewan, and the controversial approval of the Cluff Lake uranium mine in northwest Saskatchewan. Gives examples of risky uranium sales in which there was a clear danger Saskatchewan uranium would be used for nuclear weapons purposes and the unsuccessful struggle to have Saskatchewan uranium withheld from the world market until the Non-Proliferation Treaty could be strengthened.

LISTEN: Part 2 focuses on the risks associated with nuclear power. The successful efforts to block nuclear reactor construction in Saskatchewan over the past thirty years. The nuclear accidents in Chernobyl Ukraine and Fukushima Japan. In the event of trouble, shutting down a nuclear power station successfully does not necessarily prevent a serious accident from occurring. There must be an ongoing supply of electricity to the reactor itself, so that uranium fuel bundles can be cooled. A loss of electricity for several days poses extreme danger. The exceptional risks nuclear power stations present in the event of war, as evidenced by events unfolding in Ukraine. The lack of a solution for how to safely dispose of the high level radioactive waste that every nuclear reactor produces.

LISTEN: Part 3 will be broadcast in the next few weeks and will be added once available
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Uranium/Nuclear/Waste