Please Advise! Has Parliament Gone Wacko, or Worse?

Postby Oscar » Mon May 06, 2024 4:33 pm

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2024/05/02/P ... dium=email ]

There’s tough debate, says Dr. Steve. And then there’s Poilievre’s ugly toxicity.

Steve Burgess - May 2, 2024 - The Tyee

EXCERPT: "Poilievre’s default setting is schoolyard bully, braying taunts that are intended not to reason but to bludgeon. Robert Fulghum wrote a 2004 book called All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, and Poilievre certainly seems to have read the title, at least. Thus we have political debate that rarely rises above, “I know you are, but what am I?”

Politics ain’t beanbag, as they say. But the slippery rhetoric and weasel words that are a typical politician’s stock-in-trade are not the same as the toxicity that regularly comes out of Poilievre. With some politicians you get the impression that, in highly-charged moments, they might lose their temper. With Poilievre you get the feeling that calling someone a bullshitter and a Marxist is a regular, sunny Wednesday. Ugly rhetoric is just Poilievre speaking his truth.

Are we fated to descend to the depths now being plumbed in the U.S., where a vice-presidential hopeful calculates that it will be politically advantageous to recount the shooting of a family pet? South of the border they have developed a political climate where, guided by the ethos of Donald Trump, there seems to be no bottom. And up here we have at least one political pilot determined to push the stick into a vertical dive. [Tyee]"
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to PURE(?) POLITICS