Ed Broadbent remembered fondly by those who worked with him

Ed Broadbent remembered fondly by those who worked with him

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 am

'Mentor, friend, champion': Ed Broadbent remembered fondly by those who worked with him

[ https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ed-bro ... -1.7081090 ]

Darren Major · CBC News · January 11, 2024

EXCERPT: "Ed Broadbent is being remembered fondly as a friend, mentor and champion for change by those who knew and worked with him.

The Broadbent Institute, which he founded, announced his death in a statement Thursday afternoon. He was 87.

Current NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said Broadbent helped him "tremendously with his advice and encouragement" after he won the leadership in 2017.

"Whenever I asked anything of him — to talk through policy ideas, to help with a challenging political problem or to campaign with me — he always said 'yes,'" Singh wrote in a media statement.

"I have often said that Ed was who I wanted to be when I grew up. He taught me about leadership and how to turn political principle into actions that helped improve the lives of Canadians."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered his condolences to Broadbent's family and friends in a statement posted on X, formerly Twitter.

"Canada is better off because of Ed Broadbent's selfless service. An advocate for equality and champion for justice, his commitment to helping others never wavered," Trudeau wrote. . . . . . "

More . . . .
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Ed Broadbent remembered fondly by those who worked with

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm

Remembering Ed Broadbent

[ https://rabble.ca/politics/canadian-pol ... Newsletter ]

EXCERPT: "Former long-time leader of the federal NDP Ed Broadbent died on Thursday, January 11, 2024. He was 87-years-old.

Broadbent served as leader of the NDP from 1975 to 1989 and served as an MP from 1968 to 1990 and again from 2004 to 2006.

Politicians and labour leaders began issuing tributes of remembrance after the news of Broadbent’s passing broke on Thursday afternoon.

“Ed Broadbent was a lifelong champion of our movement and our party. He dedicated his considerable gifts to the project of social democracy, never wavering in his belief that we must build a Canada that serves everyone – not just the rich and powerful,” said current NDP leader Jagmeet Singh in a statement.

During Broadbent’s long tenure as NDP leader, he helped grow the party to its highest levels of success it had seen up to that point in its history.

In the 1988 election Broadbent led his party to securing 43 seats in the House of Commons, a record that remained unchallenged until Jack Layton’s historic win of 103 seats in 2011. . . . . "
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to PURE(?) POLITICS